Friday, January 21, 2011

Common Misconceptions About Internships

by Megan Fingert


           Whether it’s our favorite celebrity or an unpopular consumer product, misconceptions and false ideas run rampant in our society. We are bombarded with images of and ideas about everything from cars to perfume, from being a politician to being a cheerleader. As a college student, I know my peers have lots of ideas about what it means to be an intern or to have an internship. In the three internships I’ve held, including my current internship with Liberal Arts Career Development, it has become clear to me that the majority of intern stereotypes are false. I’ve decided to highlight the three that I feel are most prevalent throughout the undergraduate community and debunk these internship myths.

1.            Internships have no substance—all you do is bring your boss coffee and perform other mindless tasks.

It is such a common image on television and in movies that an intern is a sort of personal barista. It appears that we are mostly running back and forth fetching pastries and lattes for an overbearing boss.  While it can make for humorous or shocking entertainment, this is totally false.
In all the internships I’ve held and currently hold, I have been assigned tasks with purpose and with substance—and not once have I been asked to get someone a cup of coffee! Whether asked to proofread press releases at the John Purdue Club, launch a more effective social media campaign for Hungry Boiler, or project manage the first day of Career Week for LACD, I was able to learn something new and worthwhile from every assignment. Bosses were always willing to tailor work to my strengths, whether I had hoped to showcase my writing abilities or better develop my event planning skills. If I had a goal in mind, they always wanted to help me reach it.
So, the next time you fear your internship will come with a second job in a green apron with a certain iconic mermaid on your hat, think again! An internship will provide you with experience that is far from mindless.

2.            If I’m not getting paid, an internship isn’t worth the time or energy.

A lot of college students, including me, are always happy to have some extra cash. There is nothing more frustrating that having empty pockets after buying expensive books for class. So, we have come to believe that a job is only worth it if it helps us make that pretty green bill. Though, many internships don’t come with the perk of payment, neither salary nor hourly wage. Is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! In fact, you can gain a lot more than just a few new lines on your resume from having an internship.
You can receive academic credit for most internships. Often a company will offer this opportunity with a plan in mind, or you can work with them and your academic advisor to develop a plan for how you will earn the credit. I am currently working towards earning academic credit for my internship with LACD. It’s wonderful to have on my transcript and, if I perform well, it will be a nice grade to add to my GPA in the end.
Next time, don’t turn down and opportunity because it doesn’t pay! You’ll end up paying for it!           

3.            All bosses treat interns like workhorses and won’t ever give me a break.
            
            This myth actually holds a little bit of truth, but not for the reasons you think. Our fabulous director at LACD is Lisa Snodgrass. Does Lisa ask a lot of us as LACD interns? Sure. Is it ever anything we can’t truly handle? Never!
            Often internships can feel very overwhelming for a one major reason. We are entering a work environment that we are not used to. As undergraduates, we have yet to experience a real live office environment and this setting is very different from the classroom. While we try to adjust to performing tasks as a professional and not just a student, it can feel as though the work never ends and that each task is nearly impossible.
            What’s wonderful about this is that you’ll find it is totally possible! As a student at Purdue University, your professors, advisors, and the Career Development office have always provided you with the tools you’d need to succeed in the work place. Don’t doubt the skills that you have developed throughout your college life, whether in class or in a student organization. They are there and they can bring you success in internships and jobs after graduation.
            So, instead of debunking this myth, I’ll say that this myth is in fact truth if you decide to approach it with a positive attitude (and more positive wording.) If you can do that, you need not worry if you become overwhelmed. You will make it through and with flying colors!


No comments:

Post a Comment