Friday, January 28, 2011

If you could be any kitchen utensil, what would you be and why?

By Stephanie Grebe:

I was at a group interview for an internship a few years ago when we were asked a bizarre question: If you could be any kitchen utensil, what would you be and why? The faces of the candidates went blank and we looked at one another completely stumped. Why would an employer care about how we identify ourselves as kitchen equipment?

Questions like this have come up more than once in my interview experiences: if you could be any animal, what would you be and why? What talk show host are you most similar to? What would you do for a Klondike bar?

While these questions initially seem silly and irrelevant, their purpose is to show personality, creativity, and lighten the mood. You only have a few minutes to really win over an employer, so it is crucial that you utilize these moments, including the personality questions. The fact of the matter is, they really aren't interested in what utensil you say. They want to hear the rational you use to support it. This is not just a chance to be funny or cute, this is a change to display your strengths!


Example: I would say that I'm a spork. I have always been incredibly versatile and can adapt to different situations, and with a spork, you can use it as both a spoon AND a fork!

Example: I would be a measuring cup. I am always very precise with my work and make sure I am always reliable. A measuring cup is consistent and dependable. 

Example: I would be a blender. I really love mixing things up and trying new things. I am never afraid to jump right in and love being adventurous.


Whatever you do, don't just answer the question. Draw upon your professional experiences and qualities to support whatever answers you give. Just saying "I'd be a spatula," isn't going to cut it.


What not to say: A young man that was interviewing with me responded with "I'd be a knife, because I'm cut throat." Needless to say, he did not get the job.

1 comment:

  1. Good information on this post. Also, it is really nice to listen all your words. Thanks for sharing this.

    Kitchen Equipment

    ReplyDelete