Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Preparing for a Job Interview!

Preparing for a Job Interview! (A Chronicle of My Intense Week!)
By Christina Ripley

This week I received an email from a company asking me to interview for a summer internship position. I was really excited because the company does some really cool projects, but at the same time, really nervous! I have never really been intensely interviewed for a position before. For most of my jobs, the company has already decided that they are going to hire me and they do an cursory interview (just to make sure I'm not psychotic or anything). This was a chance to put everything I've learned so far at Career Development to work!

Here's what I've been up to this week:

1) Putting together a print portfolio- Just so the interviewer could get a good idea of the kind of work I have done in the past. I wanted it to look really professional so I designed it to match my personal website.

2) Research the company- I looked up past projects they had completed, their mission statement and tried to learn a bit about the top guys. That way, it will be easier for me to relate my interview answers directly to the company. It also makes you seem more interested in the job!

3) Think about potential interview questions- Not that you want to sound robotic during the interview, but it's always good to anticipate some questions so you aren't caught off guard.

4) Create questions you want to ask the interviewer- Ask about his favorite project or who the ideal employee would be. It gives him a chance to talk and makes you seem more interested and personable.

5) Go shopping!- I bought a really cute, new outfit. Let's just hope it gives me the extra confidence boost I need!

Alright everyone! Wish me luck tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment