Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Why You Should Create a Professional Portfolio!


Before my LACD internship interview I was told to bring in a portfolio full of writing samples to present to my supervisor, Lisa, so that she could get a good idea of my writing experience and style. It sounds simple, but the truth was, I had never created a professional portfolio before! So, how did I go about making my portfolio? Why is it important to have one?

Portfolios are excellent tools that can give job interviewers a concrete idea of the type of work you produce. Including class projects, work for extracurricular activities and samples from previous employment is a great way to start building your portfolio. Afterwards, you should carefully think about the professional image you are trying to portray. Do the samples you have included adequately demonstrate this image? It isn't easy to make a complete portfolio, but it can help you provide proof to a job interviewer that you really do fit in with their company.

The month I have been working really hard on my portfolio when I had a great idea. A print portfolio is great, but it can't reach a large audience. So, I decided to move my portfolio online instead. I reorganized all of my samples and set up a website to host them. Already, the results have been promising. It's hard to make a stellar impression using just a resume, but ever since I started giving out my portfolio website I have had multiple people show interest in me. As of yet, no job interviews. But, I have only had the site for a month and I am still working on spreading the word.

An online portfolio will definitely set you apart from the competition. In such a tough job market it's becoming increasingly important to demonstrate your talents before you can even land an interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment