Thursday, March 10, 2011

Stop your E-mail from being an E-mess

By: Stephanie Grebe

We are all guilty of it... 256 emails in the inbox: 4 from Mom that I will respond to later, 2 from group members who I don’t have an answer for, and 250 from my favorite stores/web pages/Facebook that I don't think I'll ever open.

Today, let’s knock out the e-clutter by mastering a few simple digital organization techniques. I have 4 easy steps to help you reclaim your inbox and organize your life! Why? Because do you really want to tell your employer that you accidentally deleted their memo thinking it was a Mafia Wars invitation on Facebook?

1. Act on EVERY email: Too often, we make an e-mess out of our e-mail. I am no exception. I use to open emails, finish reading them, and move on to the next. Sometimes, the clutter would sit in my inbox for days, weeks, or even months. Unopened Bath and Body Works coupons and bank statements would often overwhelm important messages.

So my step one to becoming digitally organized is to act on EVERY email. Whether you erase it, respond, or save it to a folder, it is important to finish what you start. Some people use the method of tagging, which is a good tactic if you are extremely proactive and follow through. But for most of us, you’ll be amazed at the time you save by simply finishing each email you open. Instead of marking it as “respond later,” just respond now and file it away! It will be easier to find the information you need, and you’ll stop wasting time digging through your inbox.

2. Utilize folders: They are there for a reason, so start using them! The more specific you are, the easier it will be to organize and find things. Instead of labeling a folder “summer internship 2010,” you can make an individual folder for each project you work on. This is key to being organized, and is too easy to NOT take advantage.

3. Unsubscribe from clutter: Step three is another no brainer that we never take the time to do, unsubscribe. Again, I am guilty. It seemed like I use to get 10 cooking emails every day from every cooking site I’ve ever visited in my 15 years on the Internet. Instead of crowding my inbox with emails I never even open, one day I did the unthinkable, I unsubscribed. It takes an extra minute of your day, and saves you frustration and space in the long run. You’ll be amazed at the difference it makes.

4. Divide and conquer: This has been the most useful e-organization tip I’ve received: have different email addresses for different purposes. This may be common sense when you get into the professional world and are provided a company email address. But, until then, separate your inboxes. I have found it very helpful to have 3 email addresses
a.    Personal
b.    Professional
c.    Junk
I never even have to check the latter; it is just there for when I need to sign up for web pages I am not particularly interested in. It is amazing to check my junk email every few months, and see the thousands of spam/newsletters/SPECIAL OFFERS I avoid.

Plus, having different personal and professional emails is a great way to keep your professional and personal life separate online. That way, if you are dying to have the "PartyPlaya911" e-mail address (which is a whole other issue), it will not be shared with your colleagues or employers.

This is only a start to being organizing your e-mess. With just a few steps, these will knock tons of time off your daily email routines and keep your e-mail professional!

No comments:

Post a Comment