Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Graduation and Growing Up Isn't Easy

By Christina Ripley

Am I the only one that feels like the end of the semester can be very anticlimactic? The last day of class comes and goes, followed by an intense week of stress. Then in a flash everyone is gone. Campus is empty. Maybe I’m just feeling extra nostalgic this year because when I pack up my room and drive home, I won’t be moving back. I’ll graduating and joining the ranks of annoying alumni who crowd Harry’s during football weekends and have terrible breakfast club costumes.

Senior year is definitely a weird time: weirder than senior year of high school in my opinion. No one knows where they will be in a year or what they will be doing. It’s pretty intimidating! Here are my tips for surviving the awkward time known as senior year:

1)      Stay busy. I know a number of seniors who take easy classes and just party all semester. It sounds fun, but these are also the same people who seem to be in a state of arrested development after graduation. So get involved with an on campus internship, an organization or a job. Staying busy helps keep your priorities in line and can help you deal with moving on from Purdue.
2)      Spend time with your friends. My last tip might have sounded like I’m anti-fun, but that is completely off the mark. Go to the bars and hang out with friends. Enjoy the time you have left on campus and develop lasting relationships. You never know when you might see someone again!
3)      Look for a job. Don’t put it off until the end of the semester! I know it’s scary to think about moving on, but avoiding looking for permanent employment ensures that the only place you will be moving is back to your parent’s house. The economy is still making job searches tough, so give yourself extra time to find opportunities. They will come along. Have faith!
4)      Order Insomnia cookies whenever possible.


Most importantly, just try and keep a positive attitude. You aren’t the only person who has to transition. Things will work out! And remember, the staff at LACD is here to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment