Friday, April 29, 2011

Letters from the Lone Junior


by Megan Fingert

In the May newsletter, you’ll find some wonderful words from the seniors on the LACD team that are graduating. Some send letters to their freshmen selves, others describe their undergraduate experience, and some provided advice for us, the juniors, sophomores, and freshmen. As I, a junior, edited and wrote May’s newsletter, I began to think about what I would have said in reply to these seniors. I’ve decided to use a blog post to communicate some messages to them, ones filled with thank you’s and bravos.


Angie,
            You’re creative abilities still astound me every time a new project is finished. I have learned so much about design and polish when admiring your work and I hope you pat yourself on the back for that talent everyday. I find your goofy humor and sweet smile to be such a positive addition to a work and play environment. You are so sweet and good-natured. You are true to who you are. I’m so sorry that I’ve only had sixteen weeks with you, but I hope this professional relationship has been the beginning of a great friendship. I wish you all the luck in the world in your future and can’t wait to email you for recommendations of spots to stop by in London. Thank you for a lovely semester.
Meg


Adam,
            You were the lone man sailing in the sea of estrogen that was LACD before your arrival. Your dry humor and witty nature helped you navigate it easily. It was so nice to have a guy’s perspective on projects and ideas. You kept the ladies well rounded and balanced. I know we got to know each other a bit more than some of the other interns because we shared mutual office hours. I’ve enjoyed talking to you and getting to know you. Your laid-back attitude and work ethic has been contagious. I know you are headed for great things and I hope our friendship continues as you head out into the real world.
Thank you for a lovely semester.
Meg


Christina,
            We were supposed to become great friends years ago when I first met you at a club meeting and when you brought me to your sorority for recruitment, but we lost touch. No surprise that fate made sure I’d find you again as my colleague this semester. This ride has been a wild and fun one and I’m glad that we experienced this internship together. You are bubbly, witty, and a whole lot of fun. I thank you again for your help with design and editing. You’ve been a mentor and a friend and I couldn’t be sadder that you are graduating.
Thank you for a lovely semester.
Meg


Caitlin,
I can still remember the first meeting. You were the first to report what you had been working on for the week. As your incredible organization and can-do attitude came to light in your report, I began to think, “Man, I wish I was that talented!” I was so impressed from then on with your event planning skill and ability to smile through anything. You are so mature, lovely, and you have become someone I really look up to. I know that you will do some amazing things down the road because you’re already doing them now! I’m sure your talents will continue to grow and grow and I’m excited to see where you will be in a few years.
Thank you for a lovely semester.
Meg


Stephanie,
Our fearless Career Week leader! You have dared me to think bigger, worker harder, and be greater. Working with you this semester has truly helped me grow. I’ve always felt I could come to you for help on LACD work, homework, and anything else. I think you are just fabulous and so talented. I’m hoping it rubbed off on me a little bit over these past 16 weeks! I hope you will continue to be the caring and thoughtful girl I’ve gotten to know over this semester. Thank you for everthing and I know you are headed for incredible things!
Thank you for a lovely semester.
Meg


Kate,
            Your determination and your focus have been inspiring to watch over the course of the semester. I hope you are truly proud of the work you have completed and of your new title of doctor. It’s something I know I could never complete. I have enjoyed working with you and helping each other to see the others perspective. You really are a talented, intelligent and incredible woman and I hope you will remind yourself of that everyday. You deserve the best and I know you will go out and get it in whatever you do.
Thank you for a lovely semester.
Meg


No comments:

Post a Comment