Thursday, April 28, 2011

Top 10 Things I Took Away From LACD



By: Stephanie Grebe

Tomorrow is our last LACD team meeting, and I am in awe. I cannot believe the semester is over and our team is going our separate ways. I've been a part of LACD since August 2009, and am so proud of where this team has grown. I want to end my internship by reflecting on some of the most valuable lessons I have learned here at LACD. 

Top 10 Things I Took Away From LACD

  1. Working at LACD helped me develop my motto, “Don’t think outside the box, think like there is no box.” So much of what we accomplished over the years was because we dared to push limits and try new things. We dreamed big and accomplished big.
  2. Always think ethically when parking :)
  3. Having a “yes” attitude will get you far! Even when it is a task you aren’t crazy about (read: News Letter, Bulletin Boards), you will gain experiences and develop transferable skills.
  4. There is no such thing as being too prepared for an event, have plans b and c ready just in case!
  5. Networking is by far the most valuable professional tool. College is a fantastic opportunity to meet distinguished alum, local businesses leaders, and develop contacts with companies all around the world. Take advantage of every networking opportunity, even if it isn’t what you want to go into professionally. You never know who knows who.
  6. When working on a project, you have to look at the big picture. Think of generational differences, gender perspectives, corporate attitudes, and how different audiences perceive your message.
  7. Working at LACD, I learned how to ask for help. The great part of being in a team, especially one with such incredible resources, is that there is always someone there to help. I learned that being a leader is about using the strengths of others and finding the best person for a job.
  8. Cookies ALWAYS put the office in a better mood
  9. Expect the unexpected.
  10. I have developed such a gratitude for the people I have met and worked with at LACD. The list of Purdue administrators, Liberal Arts Deans, community business leaders, nationally known guest speakers, the generous Career Week sponsors, the incredibly talented 10 interns I’ve had the privilege of working alongside, the supportive role of Sidonna, and the irreplaceable mentorship I have received from Kate and Lisa…I am in awe of the relationships I have formed and have enjoyed working with every single one of you. I look forward to seeing your future endeavors and am grateful to have developed lasting relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment