Thursday, June 23, 2011

Week 3

By: Adam Brockman This week was very exciting and I learned a lot.  This week I exclusively focused on (EOD) Explosives Ordinance Disposal.  Tippecanoe County is one of the only bomb squads in the state of Indiana and there are only a little over 400 in the entire country so it is a huge opportunity to work with a bomb squad.  This week we spent the majority of our time in a class room learning what to look for as a first responder on a bomb scene or possible bomb scene.  We had speakers from the FBI and ATF came and spoke to us.  One of the agents for the FBI worked in Pakistan and was involved in a blast that killed multiple people.  In the class we also worked on what to look for when you show up on a scene with a potential bomb threat.  We did 10 shots on the bomb range to see what different types of bombs looks like. 
            The last day of the course the bomb squad set of 5 other charges that we then had to perform post blast investigation on and rebuild the bomb.  It was amazing that we found almost all the parts to each bomb could nearly reconstruct the entire apparatus.   I learned an incredible amount during this course and it is all very applicable for my career choice.   The biggest thing that I have noticed up to this point is that what I have learned in school isn’t very applicable to my every day work which is understandable but it has become very apparent to me of how much more I have to learn to become an asset to a department in this field of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment