Thursday, October 20, 2011

Networking

by: Tiffany Smock


We've all heard it before: when it comes to getting a job it's all about who you know. But how many of us actually listen to that statement? I myself will admit to falling under the assumption that I will simply "wing it" and use my resume and my persistence to get a job. It will all fall into place right? I'll get a job as long as I was involved in school, got good grades, etc. I couldn't be farther from the truth.

In a job market that sees an increase in unemployment each day, it is crucial to do anything and everything possible to land that dream job. Aside from grades and being involved, networking is one of the most important things you can do for your career.

There are a number of ways to network at college and I urge you all to take advantage of the opportunities given to you now. I have been to numerous career fairs and have quite a large collection of business cards to show for it. On the other hand, these professionals now have my business card too. This will be beneficial for me in the long run when it comes to me seeking a job.

But don't let the business card exchange fool you, there is more to the process than just exchanging information. You also need to keep in contact with them. For example, I went on an advertising agency tour with a club I am a member of. We visited a few agencies in Chicago and exchanged information, and I proceeded to send them an e-mail later that day thanking them. I later set up an information meeting with one of the agencies to find out more about the company. This step of the networking process is vital and in a way the most important. Remember, these professionals receive hundreds of business cards from college students on a daily basis. They will not remember you if you send them an e-mail later on when you're applying reminding them how you chatted at the career fair. The follow-up e-mails set you apart from the other students and let the professional know that you are serious about your career and you are taking the time to get to know the company.

I feel like I have learned how to properly build networks during my time at Purdue and hope to continue to do so in the future. I encourage all of you to go to the career fairs and networking events. Even if it's not your major or you're not sure about the company, go! You never know what opportunity you will be passing up to make a great contact or what potential job you may miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment