Friday, February 17, 2012

SEE or SAW?

By Yameng Zhang

I like happy endings, but the ones with unexpected endings have more memorable aftertaste, because nothing just works out like it does in fairy tales. Life has ups and downs, and that’s why it is more fun.

What I want vs. what I've got.
When it comes to job searching, it is all about interests and skills. When I was in high school, shopping was the thing that was always attractive. I wanted to be a designer so that I can go shopping for living. I learnt drawing and it was never good, I leant to use computer to draw but it only made me realize how lousy I could be at computers. Shopping was what I wanted, but I got nothing to go with it.
This is the deal between interests and skills— unless you learn it well, there is always more things you are interested in than things you are good at. In another word, interests are up while the skills are down, if you are lucky and hardworking enough, someday they can be balanced. At that point, you would be doing something for living which you are interested in.

What I want to do vs. what I should do
Desire is not something we can take control of, but is definitely something we can ignore. As a 22-year-old girl, I want to sleep whenever I want and hang out with friends. As a college student, tuitions are not paid for leisure, so staying up late and having dehydrated noodles should not be something I should be complaining about. This is the most fun part —either I do what I want to do and feel bad about myself afterwards, or I stick to what I should do and be proud of myself afterwards. There are more ups and downs in this part, since subjects and objects are always there and they are harder to handle. Time management is life management, if I can do what I should do, I can do what I want to do in the future, and it may be much more cheerful than I ever expected.

What I want vs. what I get
This is when I get the exam results, the news whether I get the position or not, and the outcome of what I’ve done. This is when the seesaw of "what I did" and "what I get" is finally balanced for sure. The fact is, if during the seesaw process, you learnt what you are interested in, you did what you should do, what you get will be the thing you wanted. No more hassel, no more twisting and no more wander, life is never a seesaw, it is a formula, by which you can tell what you will get.

No comments:

Post a Comment