Sunday, April 22, 2012

Dealing with Distraction


By Michael Mustradi

With the NHL playoffs in full swing, I have been distracted during the time of year when I should be most focused.  Everyone suffers from distractions daily, and while some may be affected more than others, it is important to limit the amount of distractions.  There are a few ways to limit simple distractions and get things done.

One of the largest distractions of modern day is social media.  You are not alone if you have the itch to check your Twitter feed every fifteen minutes.  It’s very discouraging how an hour on Twitter can feel like you have only been on for five minutes.  When I need to get work done, I usually disconnect from the Internet.  Social media, games, and news can all be major distractions and prevent you from meeting deadlines.

Planning ahead can also limit the amount of time that we waste on distractions.  If I know a game is going to be on, I know that I will not get much done, so I instead work hard before or after the game with the TV off.  Also, take breaks!  If you have a large workload, plan to take a breather because otherwise you will find yourself losing focus frequently.

So, deal with distractions first and make getting things done easier!

No comments:

Post a Comment