Friday, June 22, 2012

Starting my first Internship

By: Brian Rivera


After four summers of part-time jobs landscaping people’s yards, and folding clothes at the mall, I am finally starting my first real internship and I am excited and nervous at the same time. I am excited, because I feel like I am finally beginning to take the final steps towards adulthood, and the first steps towards my future. I know that the experiences I get from working at the LACD are invaluable, and are going to be a great foundation for the path that my life will take me on. I am also excited about the team that I will be working with this summer, and the projects we will be working on, especially being a project manager for the Professional Pathways newsletter!

These new experiences can also very nerve-racking! The thought of the success or failure of a project, because of the decisions I make can be stressful, and I am also nervous because this will also be a sort of “test” of how my abilities are transferred from class to my work. Since I just picked up Professional Writing as a major a year ago, I feel the extra pressure to test my limits and see what I truly like and what I am good at. Although I am nervous, the excitement I feel is balancing it out. I guess that the nerves I am feeling right now are just the same as the anticipation you get when you are going up a rollercoaster. When you get to the top you feel your stomach ball up, and for a split second all your “worst-case” scenarios race through your mind, but when you are heading down all that stress lets go and it makes the fall that much sweeter.

Right now I am at the top of the roller coaster and looking out at what my summer will be like, and although I know that I will be working hard and pushing myself, the knowledge and experiences I will get from this internship are going to be worth the “fall”.

No comments:

Post a Comment