Monday, October 1, 2012

Debriefing Advance Yourself

Last week, I finally got to experience a similar feeling to what I would imagine a parent feels like watching their child ride a bike for the first time. Advance Yourself, the graduate school fair that I project managed and have been working on rigorously for the past several months, finally occurred. Like that happy parent, I got to see all my hard work and effort being put to good use for something that will hopefully benefit others in some way. I felt that the fair was a huge success and I am very pleased with how it turned out.

Running and planning an event such as Advance Yourself takes a lot of work, and I don't think students always realize the effort that Purdue University puts into finding them the best career resources possible. I was able to get 28 graduate schools and two testing centers from around the country to come and participate in this event. All the recruiters that showed up on that day want to interact with students and show them the best possible options that their program has to offer. It was a great opportunity for every student who participated to learn how they can further their education.

I think what I learned the most from project managing Advance Yourself was how to work well under pressure. When planning an event, something can always go wrong. No matter how well you prepare yourself, I learned that I will always need to formulate backup plans in case the situation goes awry. I learned how to keep calm if something didn't go the way I had planned and how to be adaptable. Although this was just my first event, I know I have learned a lot of useful life skills that will help me in the many situations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment