Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Professional Job Seekers


By: Samantha Werry

What does it really take to get a job? According to J.T. O’Donnell, he states that 58% of job seekers are taking advice from the wrong person.

O’Donnell states “58% of job seekers said they are using their own experience to map out and execute their job search. Meaning, they aren’t getting help from proven experts on the subject because they feel they are skilled enough to find work on their own.” Throughout his article, he has made it recognized that people are tying to find jobs on their own instead of using professional help. The professional help he is talking about isn’t just getting a resume edited, but hiring certain skilled people to look for relatable jobs for the person in need of help. He makes it known that people don’t pull their own teeth or cast their own arm, so why not get help finding a job when it’s not your area of expertise?

I would be one of the 58% who have been searching for a job all by myself. I never really thought about getting an expert to help me find what I am looking for. After reading his article, it opened my eyes to the possibilities out there. I also have learned quite a deal about what these professionals would do for me from understanding what it takes to build and execute a proper job search strategy. I was unaware of such professional help for this type of ordeal. I have only thought about Careerbuilder, InDeed, Monster and other job posting websites available to everyone for help. I have realized the benefits and drawbacks of using those websites. Those sites go through thousands upon thousands of resumes just to find the right person for the job. That gives my chances of actually getting an interview to be even smaller.

O’Donnell also mentioned the poor hiring practices are a problem. He believes it is not just the employers looking for a new worker being the problem, but you are the problem. Be believes that people tend to think that the employers could do a better job of seeing a candidate’s potential, but in fact, people need to do a better job at proving themselves to the people in need of help. Recruiters are the ones in need of a person to work there, but they are also going to be looking through multiple candidates, they have the money to spend on you, and they are the consumers to buy your services. They deserve to be a little bit picky because they know what they want. He and I believe that people need to learn how to prove to them we are what they need for their company to work better.

The message from this post is to get out there and get help from professionals who know exactly what to do. Lets face it, it is hard and scary looking to find a job that will fit you and you fit them. I know I have been nervous looking for certain jobs, but now realize there is help out their for me So for me, I am defiantly going to keep my options open to using someone of expertise to help me with finding a job.



Source: http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20121102124443-7668018-58-job-seekers-shooting-themselves-in-the-foot

No comments:

Post a Comment