Thursday, December 6, 2012

Saying Goodbye


By: Teri Grimes

I made it! Four and a half years later of hard work, and I’ll graduate in about a week with an honors dual degree. I’ve accepted a job offer in Chicago and now have less than a month to pack all of my things, find an apartment, and get settled before my start date of January 3rd. In the beginning of my college career it seemed like I would never be able to take all of the required classes, but now real life is hitting me right in the face. In just a few short days I’ll be sitting in Elliot hall listening to a commencement speaker and waiting to hear my name called.

But what about what the commencement speaker isn’t telling you? What are you supposed to expect for life after college? The Wall Street Journal released an article in April that caught my eye, and is becoming even more relevant now. It’s titled “10 Things Your Commencement Speaker Won’t Tell You” by Charles Wheelan. It included some points that I agree are important for us December grads to know:

1. Your time in fraternity basements was well spent – Enjoying College and becoming a well-rounded person is important for post-graduation happiness and success. You never know where your good connections could help you network either.

2. Some of your worst days lie ahead – Although you’ve just achieved something great by graduation, there’s no doubt that some stress and failure lies just shortly ahead. That’s not saying you can’t overcome it, because you can and will.

3. Don't make the world worse – Remember that you don’t always have to be finding a cure for AIDS to change the world. You could be changing it every day with what you do in your career, so don’t make it worse.

4. Marry someone smarter than you are – Two incomes can help to alleviate stress on relationships, and luckily you’re about to be in a room where all the smartest people are wearing cords around their necks!

5. Help stop the Little League arms race – Do things just because it’s fun to do, and realize that not everything in life has to be a competition.

6. Read obituaries – You can learn a lot about a person’s life from their obituary, and sometimes it’s important to remember that everyone has a different journey and can still be successful after a few wrong turns.

7. Your parents don't want what is best for you – Sometimes your parents want what they think is a safer option, because they don’t want to see you fail. Make sure you’re pushing yourself to be the best person you possibly can.
8. Don't model your life after a circus animal – Working constantly for a little reward isn’t a good way to live your life, and it won’t make you happy.

9. It's all borrowed time – I know the Wall Street Journal wouldn’t put it this way… but in the words of some of my peers, “YOLO.”

10. Don't try to be great – You can’t control your own luck, but still remember that you don’t get what you wish for, but what you work for.

It’s been real, LACD fans. I’ve enjoyed my semester of giving career advice in the best way that I can, and learning a lot while I’m at it. Don’t forget to look me up some day when you’re applying for jobs too, I’d be happy to continue career coaching for as long as I can. Good luck to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment