Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Pursuit of Happiness


By: Janna Parke
 
  If you have been keeping up with the intern blogs and what is going on here at LACD, you probably know that Career Week was last week! If not, let me be the first to tell you that it was a long, successful week that I will never forget! The week before, I had a summer internship interview in Chicago. I wish I could’ve gone to Career Week before the interview to help learn about how to build myself professionally in a variety of different ways. Although I didn’t get to go to Career week prior to my interview, I now am equipped with Career Week knowledge for the future! On Wednesday, Cory Bultema gave a talk on how he got his job and also gave a lot of advice on subjects such as resumes, elevator pitches, and interviews. Some of the advice Cory gave is timeless and can be applied to more than careers, which is why I am going to share one piece of valuable information from the talk.

First, Cory talked about finding what motivates you. If you are looking for a future job, you aren’t only looking for a career, but also a career you will thrive in and be the best you can be. It is so important that you love what you are doing and that you feel motivated to get up and go to work, school, or whatever you may be doing day-to-day. When Cory was talking about this subject, I kept thinking back to how excited I am for my summer internship in Chicago! My desire to serve others while working in a professional workplace is something that motivates me and excites me. I am looking forward to working on building myself professionally and also trying to figure out what I want to do in the future.These things motivate me, but what motivates you?

I am all about passion. When I get involved in something, whether it is school, work, or clubs, I make sure that it is something I want to do and love to do. I want to be in this position and I love to be in this position. With passion and motivation, thriving in any position should come naturally.

Take Cory’s advice and find what you absolutely love and then pursue it, you won’t be sorry! 

Want to hear more quotes from Cory's talk? Check out the LACD Twitter page and scroll to February 28th for quotes!


No comments:

Post a Comment