Monday, June 17, 2013

Week Five: Newly Graduated, I Will Take All the Jobs Please

By Sarah-Jean Murray
This past week has been quite the muddle. I've been a little bit busy running around with projects, going to my little brother's graduation and going to interviews. 
It figures that as soon as I find a good temporary position for summer (not design related), I get two callbacks for interviews in Indy. Now it's awkward because if I get hired to one of those positions, I'll probably have been working a total of two or three weeks and then have to quit. Does that mean I shouldn't have gotten the summer job? Absolutely not. This is just a prime example of how plans usually don't work out how we anticipated. I'm very grateful for that summer job as being unemployed is never a wonderful situation to be in and I'm very excited that I got two interviews. I shows that being persistent and never stopping the job search is the best route to take.
As the hot days of summer mosey along, it's easy to simply stop looking as hard or to procrastinate on job searching. Even though job postings may be scarce, it's important to persist and keep at it. Broaden your job parameters to include job positions that you could work at that may be related to what you want to do but not exactly what you were searching for before. For example, a lot of Marketing positions are perfect for recent Graphic Design grads as they use those skills and creative talent that you've gained and require you to work outside of your box a little bit. Marketing jobs can also eventually lead to full time Design positions further down the road. Remember to always keep an open mind when considering where you want to work.
Many people don't end up with their dream job right away, but if you're willing to work hard for it and be persistent, you can get to that perfect place for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment