Monday, July 15, 2013

Week Nine: Newly Graduated, Depending on Those Around Me

By Sarah-Jean Murray
I have made a mostly well thought out plan to move to Indianapolis in the next two weeks. To others it may seem rash and last minute, a plan of desperation if you will. I am moving to a new city with no prospects and no job (not even a temporary one) but one thing I do have is a fantastic support system in the form of my friends and family. This 'career' support system has been in place since the first day I started college as a wide-eyed freshman. My slightly over-bearing but well-meaning parents were my first supporters, my biggest fans. They were there to encourage me no matter how rough things got and tried to offer advice in times of need. I can honestly say I would be lost without them. When I first started college, I tried to be independent and act like I didn't need them but quickly realized this was not the way to go. Family is a fantastic resource to have. You always have somewhere to stay, somewhere to do laundry for free and people who will love you and help you to the best of their ability. Not everyone may have such a great family and I realize I have been very fortunate.
When striking out on our own as young professionals, we may feel the need to distance ourselves slightly from our families. This may come from the sense that we're finding ourselves and becoming real adults. We don't need parents. Parents are for children. We are our own people!
This couldn't be more wrong. Parents (and the rest of the family members) can be valuable connections not only personally but professionally. I'm not saying you should hit up your parents for jobs, but ask them if they can keep an eye and ear out for anything that may come along.
The next best support system is of course friends. Friends are on of the best networking tools to have. Friends like introducing you to their other friends (hopefully). Friends like going out and doing friend things. Friends try to help you out if you need it. The nice thing about college is that it will show you who you can actually rely on. The problem is that a lot of people don't like to depend on other people. It's that sense of being independent that I brought up before. Being dependent on someone is thought to show weakness, however you're never going to get anywhere in life without depending on someone. Eventually you will have to depend on your team, your coworkers or your boss. Depending on someone does not make you weak, it actually makes you stronger. It gives you something to lean on, some time to take a breath and gather yourself again. You can't do it all by yourself so if you haven't learned to depend, now is the time.
The reason I'm blogging about my support system is because I will be relying on them a lot in the next couple of months. I'm moving to a city where I already have friends and my parents are about an hour's drive if an emergency should arise. I will be living with one of my friends until I can find something more permanent. This friend actually offered to let me stay with him because he could see I was reaching that level of desperation. I was trying the tough man act where I would rely on nobody but myself. You can see how that turned out. So for the next couple of months I will be depending. I will be pushing and searching for jobs of course but I will also be depending.

No comments:

Post a Comment