Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Saying goodbye in the work place

By Neysa Herrera 

To say goodbye in your work place is one of the most difficult moments when you have established real friendship with some of your coworkers, and shared the most amazing experiences of your life with your supervisors and team.
During four months working with the Liberal Arts Career Development office I have grown enormously in my personal and professional life. It was a learning- challenging experience from the very beginning that make me realize how capable I am to go even further from I have already gone.

The first month of my internship, I was a scared girl wondering if she could ever be part of this new environment very different from the one she was used to. But there was one thing always on my mind: this was the opportunity to learn as much as possible about the work place and I was grateful to have it because I knew this experience will provide me with great skills and value and the job market that I always wanted.

Through the weeks a spent there, I was corrected many times by my boss and supervisor, and every time that happened I struggled a little but that wasn’t because I didn’t know corrections and mistakes were part of the process (that was something I have always had clear), that was because of my self-pressure. I am aware of the fact that I have always been a hard with myself since my motto in life is: “If you are going to do something, do it right”. Sometimes being that hard with ourselves, it not a good thing. Sometimes, you have to allow yourself fail to learn from your mistakes and have enough strength to not to struggle and just say: “ok. I have mistaken in this and I am going to work on solve it”.

At the end of this experience, this internship has made me closer to that person. I am personally and professionally stronger than I was four months ago. The fact that I had taken challenges and gotten through the obstacles have convinced me that I am more skilled and capable that I thought and for that I have to thank every single person I met along this journey. I have gained lessons that will stay with me the rest of my life. Also, I have built relations that I need to maintain for how valuable they are.   


So, at the end of this article, I woud like to say thank you to Lisa Snodgrass and Kathryn Travis, my guides in this path, Janna Parke, Bronwyn Huddleson, Maureen Corbett, Tanvir Rahman, Shelby Oyer, Ashley Wagner and Shahd Khawaja for providing me with this great experience. This is not a “good- bye” this is a “see you soon”.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment