Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Signing Out: Final Thoughts of a Seasoned Intern

By: Maureen Corbett

I didn't realize until today that this would be my last LACD blog ever. I recently decided that after three years working in the career development office, it is time for me to move on and gain different experiences. Its a bittersweet moment, and puts a lot of pressure on me to write one final blog. I've chosen to use this time to review the two most important lessons that LACD has taught me and thoughts that I wish to pass on to future interns:

1. Success resides outside your comfort zone. 
When I started at LACD, I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. I was a freshman (who had only ever held one menial job) on a team of all seniors, some of whom had 2+ internships. I had never cold-called a company, written a budget or managed any sort of team; I had hardly even written a professional email. But what made me most successful in this situation was my willingness to learn. I recognized that I was completely out of my comfort zone and new that I needed to be as adaptable and flexible as I could. If I had never accepted this position, I would never have grown into the person I am today. I have learned so much from LACD about project management, leadership, and working in a team. Its because I tried something I was unfamiliar with that helped me gain the professional skills I have today. So future leaders of the world: don't be afraid to try new experiences just because they seem scary. You never know where they will take you.

2. It takes a supporter to make a good leader. 
When I started working for LACD, I looked up to all the other interns for direction and guidance on the projects I was working on. Now that I have grown into a senior intern and the Career Week project manager, I think I am able to recognize what I need to do in order to support the other interns and be the leader that our team needs. Its because I've held positions as a supporter that have helped me become a successful leader. I also learned how important supporting roles in teams are. Sure, I was the project manager of Career Week and responsible for its success, but if I didn't have a team of fantastic interns behind me helping me with the logistics, there is no way I could have accomplished what we were able to do. While I supported my team, they were also supporting me. I believe that in order to be a successful leader, one needs to recognize the potential in others and be humbled by the fact that we need others to help us in order for the team to be successful. Without a strong team, this past year wouldn't have gone as well as it did.

Lastly, I'd like to thank everyone who I've ever worked with in LACD. Without you I would not be the person I am today or have as many amazing experiences. It has been a pleasure working with everyone. I can't wait to see what life has in store for me in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment