Friday, April 1, 2016

Knowing What to Say

If you're like me during interviews, you freeze when asked a question. I get so nervous that I don't know how to answer, which sounds silly because the question is about me. Last week, I got the chance to talk to a board directer of Walgreens and she gave me some tips on how to prepare for interviews in the future.

First off, many interviewers use the "behavioral interviewing" method. These questions help the interviewer to decipher how you would react to different situations in the workplace. This is much more than just, "tell me about yourself." These are questions that, if you're not careful, will make you freeze. You need to be aware of situations that would be important to talk about in your answers.

The key here is to make a list of important events or situations that you can use for your answer. That way, you know the answers off the top of your head instead of racking your brain for them. She also mentioned that you should study these the night before so that they are fresh. Taking a bullet point list with you before the interview could be beneficial, too.

Learning all of this information from the point of view of an interviewer makes me feel a lot more comfortable and knowledgeable. I feel that I will be a little more confident during a future interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment