Thursday, April 7, 2011

5 Weeks to Go....

By: Stephanie Grebe

I have never had so much uncertainty in my life. In a little over a month I will be graduating from Purdue, the place I have called home for the last 4 years. With that graduation comes the start of a new life that has yet to be defined. It is a scary thought to not know where your life is taking you and how your endeavors will pan out in a professional setting. The excitement of getting a college degree is quickly being overshadowed by the ambiguity of the future: where I will work, where I will live, what I’ll be doing, who will be there with me?

As I write this blog in a computer lab, out the window I see a tour group of incoming freshman. They are standing eagerly with their parents, thriving on the excitement of being on a real college campus. I remember being in their shoes not too long ago, ready to dive into my college education. I remember that excitement of wondering what classes I would take, if I’d be smart enough to understand a professor, if I would make new friends, if I could get an A…

Looking back, I’m amused by the fears I had. Of course I could understand a professor! But the reason I was scared was because it was unfamiliar. Every incoming freshman had the same apprehensions, which reminds me that every graduating senior has them too! Though my anxieties are about different things, the uncertainty is the same.

To me, this is reassuring. In college, I was able to overcome these fears in a blink of an eye by establishing myself as a strong, successful student by taking advantage of every opportunity that presented itself. Through activities, internships, classes, and organizations, I created a life here at Purdue. As this next chapter looms overhead, I am going to take this same approach. Graduating is an accomplishment that I am excited to achieve. I cannot wait to take advantage of the next opportunity that comes my way, and will remember that this anxiety will pass. Every graduating senior is feeling this pressure, the key is to take that excitement and run with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment