Friday, April 8, 2011

Opportunity Awaits: Be Prepared and Speak Up

By Megan Fingert


As this internship comes to a close, a new one is looming in the near future for me! A few of my fellow interns have been lucky to experience the London Internship Program through Study Abroad, and this summer I will get to experience it for myself. While many other participants in the program are still biting their nails wondering what company they’ll be working for, I was informed Tuesday morning of my job placement. A lifelong dancer, I am delight to say I’ll be working as a PR intern for the Chisenhale Dance Space.

When I attended a Study Abroad meeting this week, a girl who attended last summer’s program made a point. She made a point to tell us that making the most of our internship was up to us. She commented that often her peers would feel bored at work, but that they had never stood up and said, “Hey, I have an idea, can I run with it? Could we try it out? May I attempt this?” She said to be brave and just ask.
It got me to thinking about internships and how it’s so important to think about all of the possibilities and opportunities both before and all during your time working there.
As I continue along the Study Abroad process sending out visa paperwork and signing forms, I’ll continue to brainstorm in the back of my mind. What are my strengths? Where are there weaknesses? Is there a place where these two could meet and blossom into a real success?

Remember to approach situations with poise and professionalism. If you have an idea for an event or for a new way of communicating with customers, don’t barge into a meeting and tell them what you’re going to do. Ask them. Remember that most bosses are personally connected to their work. Any attempt to change, alter, or add to their business could be taken as a personal attack. Remember that it is about suggestions, not demands.

If you are given the go ahead, carry out the process completely. Nothing looks worse than bring a project upon yourself that you couldn’t complete. If you have the courage to bring it up, have the courage to finish it. Keep colleagues informed about the process. Ask for help when you need it. Don’t get to proud.

If you are turned down and left disappointed, refuse to let your colleagues know. There are many moments in our lives when we are told, “No.” First, don’t take it personally and keep your cool at the office. There’s no need to cry in a meeting. Second, be proud of yourself for having the courage to ask. Most people don’t. Third, move on from the idea. There’s no use obsessing over something that can’t become reality.

Now, I know how hard all of these things can be. I am a worry-wart, afraid of the word “no,” and often get emotionally attached to my work. Luckily, over the course of my internship with LACD, I’ve learned how to control these traits in a work environment. I know that this lesson will be so valuable as I move onto my next job.

I encourage you to try something new and voice your ideas, no matter if it’s a new job as a checker at the grocery store or a summer internships with a major corporation. While many say to keep your eyes open for those chance moments, I say go out and make those moments happen. There’s no better time than now. You’ll be surprised at the difference you can make if you just muster up the courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment