Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Be Prepared, Not Surprised

By Jayne Harris

If you've ever been asked to "tell me about yourself" in an interview for anything more than a part-time job, your interviewer was likely inexperienced or unprepared.  Some interviewers will just talk and not let you get a word in edgewise to elaborate on your qualifications.  Having the skills to identify the approach of your interviewer can give you valuable insight into their expectations and allow you to give tailored answers that showcase you in the best light.

I was once interviewed by somebody who spent over 30 minutes talking about the position in so much detail I could have started the job that day and performed well.  After reading this article, I now know that interrupting in a polite manor could have been to my advantage.  I was eventually able to highlight a few points on my resume; however, I left feeling the interviewer knew nothing more about me than the information my resume had already presented.  This can leave you questioning your chances of getting the job and lowering your confidence in future interviews.

In addition to "the talker", I've also had interviews with people who seemed to not care whether I was there or not; I felt like they wouldn't notice if I started singing or stood up on my chair.  How do you respond to their apathy?   Just make sure you maintain your enthusiasm and are polite - mimicking their attitude won't serve you well.  They'll remember you as dull and disinterested, likely not realizing that was the vibe they were sending you.

Invest the time in reading and understanding the interviewer types in the article so you can be prepared for your next interview.  Have you ever experienced "the brash", "the heroic", or any of the other styles in an interview before?  Share your story and reactions.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jayne - A quick hello and thanks for highlighting my article in your post. I've met every one of those types throughout my interviewing career. And it sounds like you've met a few of them as well!

    Good luck with your internship and keep writing!

    Tim
    @TimsStrategy

    ReplyDelete