Wednesday, June 15, 2011

week 2

By: Adam Brockman In my second week of working at the Sheriffs office I got to experience some new things.  I spent 4 hours on Monday in K9 training.  This was one of the most amazing things I have seen in my life.  We worked on the dogs tracking human scents and take downs by the dogs.  We would hide in the woods about a quarter mile from a car then the dogs would track to us and find us very quickly usually.  The take downs were great because the handlers would pop the door on their car and the dogs would run down the dummy suspect and take them to the ground and keep them there until the officer could make it to them. 
On the second day this week I was on an 8 hour patrol in which we made a few domestic calls, 3 traffic stops and a investigatory stops in which there were strange reports.  The domestic calls were by far the hardest because the people were having a lot of issues and tended to be very emotional at the time of our arrival on the scene.  It is very challenging to get the full story of what actually happened especially when you start talking to witnesses that don't want their family or friends to get in trouble with the law.  This was a very hands on experience for me even though I didn't help much with the actually reporting, I was able to be right in the action of what was going on and interact with the subjects.
My third day I was in detectives.  It was a slower day but was still interesting to see the inter workings of what goes on in a long investigation.  A good example was on a credit card fraud investigation in which credit card companies usually take 30 days to release any information.  This makes a case very frustrating because it is usually cut and dry.  They get a subject on camera but they have to wait for the credit card companies to release that information.  Overall it was a very good week and I learned a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment