Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Get Your Foot 'In The Door'

By Jayne Harris


Today I was introduced to a new networking site that utilizes facebook to help you with your job search by telling you where your friends have worked and are working, in addition to job openings at those companies.  I initially thought this was a less-professional version of LinkedIn; however, after reading the article, In The Door thoroughly impressed me.

As the article mentions, LinkedIn can't always be fully utilized by our generation as many of us are students and have few professional contacts.  In The Door is targeted to us - the generation with more friends than are true on facebook.  It's not what you know, so find out who you know using In The Door - I signed up and was presented with 51 companies in my network who are hiring.  Some were hourly positions such as Starbucks and Chick-fil-A, but Ford, Apple, GE, United, and Delphi were also on the list.

It's important to note that I'm not somebody who adds every person I ever make eye-contact with on facebook.  Those 51 companies came from just 200 friends.  Sign-up and share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment