Monday, September 26, 2011

The Job-Hopper

By: Amanda Norell

As was the case for many of us, the pressure to partake in Operation Resume Expansion began for me early in high school. “Get involved in anything and everything,” was the advice I had initially been given, so I did. I went to callouts, started going to meetings and organizational events, but I began to find that even though I was a member of the club, I wasn’t really getting much out of the experience. Because I was in multiple organizations, it kept me from being really active and really involved. I decided to scale back. While quantity was what had been preached to me as far as resumes go, I wanted to focus more on quality. By doing this I have found that people are more concerned with the amount of time spent and the depth in which you were involved in an activity than with the amount of activities you have participated in.

I was speaking with a family friend a few weeks ago about the current job market and the outlook for college graduates, and a topic similar to this was broached. Some students are finding that they need to start in smaller markets in positions they were not anticipating before they can obtain the one they truly want. Realizing that these jobs are not everything they wanted, they decide to leave for greener pastures and try the next thing on their list. Hopping from job to job, however, could be detrimental down the road. Just as it was with high school clubs, many employers like to see length and depth in past employment. While it may not always be the case, jumping from job to job can be an indicator of unwillingness to commit and irresponsibility. I’m not suggesting that you should hang around your entry-level job for the rest of your life, but cutting out after a few months may not fare well for you later in your job search. So stay committed to what you’re doing, even if it’s not your dream job. I’m not a big fan of clichés, but “good things come to those who wait.”

No comments:

Post a Comment