Tuesday, March 6, 2012

It Is Not Just Your GPA That Counts

By: Maureen Corbett

All throughout high school, I was one of those kids who was very good at playing "the school game." I'm sure all my readers know what I'm talking about. Everyone knows that girl who always knew exactly what to write in her papers to make the teacher give her an 'A', or the guy who never studied but always managed to get better grades than you on exams. That was me. I always assumed that because of my 4.2 weighted GPA, by the time I was ready to graduate employers from high-end companies would be begging me to come work for them.

But then I got to college, and reality set in.

It turns out that your GPA is just one small bullet point on your resume. While employers do care whether or not you are a good student, they are more interested in the skills you know. I attended my first career expo last week during the Liberal Arts Career Week, and the experience was eye-opening. When I would approach a booth and strike up a conversation with the company representatives, not one single person asked about my grades. Everyone wanted to know about my previous work experience, why I was interested in their company, or what skills I had that I could bring to the table that would benefit their business. It made me realize that successful people are well rounded and don't just focus on getting the 'A'. It's all about the life experiences that make you stand out, or the work that you have done that helps set you apart from other applicants.

I am not saying that grades are unimportant by any means. They number one reason people go to college is to get an excellent education, and that is not something that should be taken lightly. However, the point is that good grades should not be the only thing you have accomplished by the time you graduate. Take advantage of all the opportunities that Purdue has to offer: apply for an internship, volunteer for an organization you are passionate about, or talk with one of your professors about getting involved in a research project. There are countless ways to develop your career skills and it is never too early to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment