Thursday, April 5, 2012

Diamonds in the rough

By: Nora Kish

Somewhat recently, I was notified that I had the opportunity to possibly interview for a few positions. Exciting, right? Well, I didn't think so because I wasn't interested. I told my fiance about them on the phone and he said I should interview for them anyway. I asked why I would go through the interview process for jobs that I don't even want. His answer was simple: for the experience.

It never dawned on me that these lackluster offers (to me, at least) could end up serving me so well. It makes perfect sense, really - go through the interview process to make sure you're in tip-top shape for the interview for the job you really want. Now, I don't mean to say go into an interview with absolutely no intention of accepting an offer or working with that company in any capacity. Who knows, you might actually end up finding some things out about the company that really mesh with your goals or you may fall in love with the work environment they provide. Keeping an open mind is always a must.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and I may have judged the companies too soon without thinking too deeply into it. As a soon-to-be graduate, I'm kind of in that "beggars can't be choosers" category so it doesn't make sense, nor is it fair, for me to jump the gun on judgement. I'll look more deeply into the companies in question and go through the interview process and if I decide I don't like the offer, at least I'll have the interviewing experience. If I do like the offer, I might walk away with a new job. Either way, it'll be a win/win situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment