Thursday, April 5, 2012

Explore

By Rebekah Beachum
Post graduation, I plan to move as far from West Lafayette as possible. Not because I don't enjoy being here, but because I love traveling and being in huge cities I could get lost in. Beyond the excitement of moving and getting immersed in the culture of the place I'll live, I have this little voice in my head saying "Who will you know there?" This is something I rarely think about. I'm very good at being by myself and it doesn't really bother me, but it helps that if I need someone to talk to, I have friends here that are willing to listen or spend time with me.

It's true: being completely alone in a new place is rough, especially if everything else isn't smooth when you're transitioning. If you're like me and you happen to be going to a place where you know not a soul, get out of your apartment and do things! Join a dance class, volunteer at a local shelter, take the time to get to know your neighbors, get involved in a church (or another place of worship that applies to you), go to museums, take a walk and plan a new route for every day. Take the time to get to know your co-workers. They may have similar interests and you'll have something more to talk about at company picnics. Don't be afraid to ask questions and be ready to be open with yourself (or be a little mysterious...). All I can say is that you're not likely to combat being alone if you won't be a little gregarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment