Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Four years in the blink of an eye


By: Nora Kish

At our team meeting last week, I was reminded that I have less than a month left in my internship with LACD. I also have less than a month here at Purdue. Having worked toward this time for the past 4 years, it's extremely surreal that it's almost here. It seems like just yesterday my best friend from high school (also my roommate for the past three years) was showing me around campus, helping me find the buildings my classes were in. Now I have less than a month left. Thinking about graduation makes me think back on my time here and how I'll miss it once I leave. Thankfully, I'll be leaving with no regrets.

I transferred here from Ball State after my freshman year. It was too far from home and I thought I wanted to be on a bigger campus. When I got here, I felt lost. All my friends from high school joined fraternities and sororities, something I had never been interested in doing, and I obviously didn't have the opportunity to meet anyone through living in the residence halls. I knew I had to do something to find my niche here. I took a huge step out of my comfort zone and went by myself to a callout meeting for The Exponent. I ended up joining as a reporter and eventually worked my way up to an editor position. That initial risk I took by going to the callout meeting gave me more confidence to take risks elsewhere. When I was done at that organization, I moved on to other things and, long story short, ended up with two other internships - LACD being one of them. I had more than enough to keep me busy, but I still made time to go out when I wanted and not just work through my entire college career. I'm proud of myself for finding a good balance of getting done what I needed to and making time for fun.

On May 12 after I walk across the stage, I'm sure I'll be experiencing some bittersweet feelings. It'll definitely be sad to leave the place I called home for the past 3 years - my father's alma mater, my alma mater, where I've met some of my best friends. It won't be difficult to leave because my time here was unfulfilling or lacking in any way; it'll be difficult to let go of such a huge part of my life and move on to something completely new and different. But, I did it 4 years ago when I left for college and I know, after my time here and everything I've accomplished, I can do it again.

One of my fellow interns commented that it will be weird to graduate and leave school and I told her she better make the most of her remaining time. After freshman year, each following year goes by faster than the last and sometimes it can be hard to understand how precious your time here really is. You have a four-year break before the real world starts, so do with it what you will, just make sure you do what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment