Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Younger Games

by: Maureen Corbett

It has always seemed to me that the younger someone is, the more time they spend trying to prove to others that they can be taken seriously. I'm thinking of my little cousin Sloane when I say this. Sloane just turned four years old, and is the youngest out of nine other cousins on my mom's side of the family. Whenever our families get together, Sloane is always the first to show me what preschool activity she accomplished on her own this week, or how she can Velcro her shoes all by herself, or the reasons why she deserves to stay up past her bedtime tonight. Although there is a fourteen year age difference between my baby cousin and I, Sloane is still attempting to show me how she can relate to me on my (older) level.

When many Purdue students start graduating in a few weeks, you may find yourself beginning to act like Sloane again. As seniors, many of you are used to being some of the eldest students on campus.  But as young graduates trying to find a future career, some of you might find it difficult to convince employers that they are qualified for a specific position. With less work experience than most other applicants, it may be hard to get people to take you seriously.

My advice to you is to use your youth as one of your biggest strengths. Sell yourself as someone who can bring fresh, new ideas to a company. Show an employer your youthful energy and your ability to work hard at solving any problem you are faced with. These attributes are greatly sought out by many businesses, and possessing these qualities can benefit you in the job-hunting process. While it may be discouraging to be told over and over that you are just too young or under-qualified for a specific position, don't let that stop you from trying. You never know what persistence and hard work will do for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment