Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Kick Off

By Corinne Feight


More or less for the last few weeks, everything for the upcoming Liberal Arts Career Week has been in the conceptual stage. What do we want to do for the overall theme? How do we want to categorize the days? How does the theme relate to the order of events? I have been doing a lot of thinking, trying to figure out how to top the last career weeks, how to make this one the best yet. It is still a little difficult for me to conceptualize as I stare at these huge binders, containing every scrap of paper from the years in the past. And it’s great, don’t get me wrong. They are an amazing resource, probably even one that to an extent I haven’t comprehended yet. They have every team meeting, schedule, spreadsheet, and letter I could ever want. But maybe, it’s the fact that it’s so much. Where’s my starting place? How can I make this vision a reality?

This week we really started hitting it hard. Career Week is months away, but it is very much present in my every day thoughts. I cannot believe the tenacity of the students who ran the Industrial Round Table and SMEF, having only four weeks to figure out schedules, arrange volunteers, and put together all of the logistics for each company’s arrival. That, to me, is borderline impossible (and equally impressive), yet as far as I knew, those fairs went off without a hitch.

It’s my senior year, which is unbelievable to me. I haven’t really grasped the fact that by this time next year I should be living on my own and in a full-time position. I am beyond excited, but also nervous. I think that planning this career week will keep me grounded,  help me make connections, and provide valuable opportunities for me to network. I am excited to see how I grow during this process and what new skills I'll have developed when I'm standing at the end. In the weeks ahead, I expect to dive further in, as I begin to pull the far-reaching pieces closer and closer together.

No comments:

Post a Comment