Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Making a change


By: Samantha Werry

After talking to my fellow intern Corinne, she informed me about the first day of career week. She told me the theme and most of the details in order for me to help her find more discussion topics. We started to talk about career shifts and changes and the topic got me thinking. Career shifts happen all the time. Even a few of my teachers have had career shifts in their lifetime. But since we are all college students here, I wanted to focus more on shifts in majors from shifts inside the schools or outside.

Now a days, students change their majors all the time. Here at Purdue, it is not uncommon for students to stay an extra semester or even a year. It happens and I believe if people are not happy with what their major is, they should not feel ashamed to change majors. It is just like a person outside of college shifting careers. Yes it will be different and can make your plans not go “according to plan,” but if you believe you will be happier and perform better elsewhere, do not feel pressured to stay where you are. Change is good since we are from the generation of change. I have even changed majors and I am going to graduate on time. My last semester will only need minimal credits to graduate as well. So it goes to show, even if you change majors, you can put your heart to it and get it done all in time. You can even feel great about where you end up. All in all, it is your life. You can do whatever makes you happy. Major changes happen and are quite normal. So once you are out of college, do not feel like you are stuck with one career. Try everything you want until you find something that fits you perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment