Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Google Yourself


By: Samantha Werry

We all have realized employers are looking to the Internet more and more for information. Once people turn in job applications, they will try to find them on Facebook, Twitter, Google and everything in-between. What shows up with they Google you? Things you do not want them to find or exactly what you want them to find? For me, there are a few other Samantha Werry’s our there, but thankfully they are keeping all online lives private. As for myself, I keep everything private as well so Google will not post every little detail of my life up there. But what if something bad does pop up? How do you fix it? Personal Branding is key. By creating a unique personal brand you use on your resume, portfolio, cover letter, business cards, etc., you can control what everyone else sees of yourself.

When I Googled myself, I luckily found my personal online portfolio, which is exactly what I want them to find. It is my personal site holding all my information and design works. When I am looking for a job, I want them to be able to see my work without having to struggle to find it. I also want them to see where I go to school, my email and phone number, and all my pieces. For me, Purdue is proudly displayed on my site as well as my information. I want to represent myself in a proud, beautiful way.

All in all, when you Google yourself, you want everything to pop up of your personal branding. Start posting professional information about yourself by using LinkedIn or go the route I did and get a personal site for yourself. Control your information by making certain, helpful items findable. You want it to be easy for employers to find yourself, but you want it to be in a control way by using your personal brand. So go ahead! Google yourself! See what pops up.

No comments:

Post a Comment