Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Final Farewell


By: Samantha Werry

Being a senior in Visual Communication Design, I am sad, yet happy to say I AM GRADUATING! Due to that, this post is my final post EVER. I am sorry that none of you will get to hear the amazing advice from the wonderful Samantha Werry anymore, but there will be some new interns coming in next year who have some great advice and talent. Since this is my last post, I wanted to focus on how to wrap everything up.

Besides the whole, leaving Purdue thing, I know I will also be leaving an amazing team who has helped one another through thick and thin. Some of you will come to this point in your life and have to say goodbye to employers and team members. When this day comes, always try to do your best to leave on a good note. Make sure you get and save all of their information for you to contact them in the future. You will never know when you will run into them again or need anything from them in the future! Make sure you also actually stay in touch. Send them an email, Facebook message, LinkedIn post, Tweet or even call them every once in a while. It shows to them and to future employers that you will be loyal to where you work. You also never know if you will end up working with them again! I know I am going to be working with the wonderful Katy Claucherty again this summer!

Before you leave, obtain work you have done to help build your portfolio. Always leave with the original files because you will never know if you will need them again. It is always a good idea to have your boss or manager write you a letter of recommendation. It will help you stand out from the rest and help you realize what they thought your strengths were. A letter of recommendation will also be a great addition to your portfolio.

Overall, if you end everything on a good note, it will help you in the future. Networking and staying in touch with everyone will help you grow. I am sad to be leaving Purdue and the LACD team, but I am happy to be starting a new chapter in my life. My final piece of advice is to keep working hard. Never give up. You will end up right where you need to be in life. GOODBYE EVERYONE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment