Friday, April 19, 2013

Peace Out Purdue, I'm onto the Job Hunt

By Katy Claucherty


How has it already been four years here at Purdue? It feels like I just unloaded all of my stuff into Wiley (my first home here) last semester. But here I am, with graduation right around the corner... and no solid job lined up. This summer I’ll be doing an unpaid internship with Treefrog Marketing and Communication - I even get to work with the lovely Samantha Werry again! I’m truly excited for this opportunity – I get to stay on campus, work with a Christian company, and continue working with clients on brand management, social media, and marketing! That still leaves me without money for rent (anyone have a spare couch?) but I haven’t given up! I’m searching for jobs every day and getting my resume out there. So lucky you, I’m about to unload some wonderful words of wisdom I’ve learned while on the job hunt.

Don’t Snub Opportunities
Every graduate hopes to leave Purdue with their dream job lined up. I hate to burst your bubble, but that’s not the case for many students. I’ve got an unpaid internship – but I’m doing it because I really want to get involved with Treefrog Marketing and the internship has the possibility of turning into a paying job. So now I’m hunting for a local job that will allow me to pay bills. So my next piece of advice: apply for JOBS not COMPANIES. By this, I mean if you find a marketing job at a car dealership, why not apply and see where it goes? I’ve been applying to a ton of companies all over Lafayette hoping to find an opportunity.

Get Your Portfolio Up-to-Date
Portfolios are a great way to showcase your skills and personal brand. Update your portfolio with

·         About Me

·         Volunteer Work

·         Design Samples

·         Resume (tailored to the job you’re applying for)

·         Reference Names

·         Sample Writings

·         Sample Presentations

·         Contact Information

Make sure your samples are recent work and your information is current. All of the materials in your portfolio should be directed specifically to the job you’re applying for. Maintain your personal brand throughout your portfolio, using colors, fonts, and experiences that shows who you are professionally and personally. Take your portfolio to all of your interviews and go through it with your interviewer, proving you have quality experiences under your belt. Not many people bring polished portfolios to interviews, so you’re sure to stand out from the sea of candidates.

Network, Network, Network
Network with everyone you meet. Professors, advisors, other students, employers, co-workers, friends of your family – when you’re looking for a job, take advantage of the connections you have! Get the word out that you’re looking for opportunities and contact everyone in your network to see who knows of any openings at their company.

Just Keep Hunting
Everyone has seen Finding Nemo, right? So take a cue from Dory and “just keep hunting, just keep hunting” until you find a job! Search for jobs on LinkedIn, on company websites, CCO Express, through your network connections. It’s possible that you’ll get a job that you don’t want to stay in for long, so keep applying and don’t be afraid to take advantage of a new opportunity!


It’s been real Purdue – thanks for four years of unforgettable memories! Boilermaker for life! BOILER UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment