Sunday, November 10, 2013

I Will Make a Difference

Written by Bronwyn Huddleson 


             Purdue University Dance Marathon is an event that happens only once a year, and when it happens there is not one thing that can break my focus for those 18 straight hours. Now, someone may read that first sentence and think, "How does a dance marathon relate to a career?" So, I want to explain the answer.

I have never felt more prepared for life in general than after I experience PUDM for the third time. I was on the Morale committee this year, which is the heart and soul of the marathon, keeping everyone strong and energized For The Kids. I gained more experience with this organization than I have with most of my part time jobs. The vigorous time commitment, team atmosphere, volunteer opportunities to be more involved with a bigger community, the fundraising/donations process, and the actual 18 hour long marathon itself are all part of this life changing, positively impacting experience. The different skills that all of these different things have taught me, are beyond what any book or classroom can do. Not to say that I do not learn in classrooms, because I most certainly do, but everyone should understand that there is much more out there to learn from. One of the biggest things that I have been able to take away from PUDM is that the difference between seeing an experience and actually first handedly being in the experience is exponential and life changing. Not only changing for the lives of the children we save and the families we support, but life changing for myself, personally. I will be able to take away everything I have done and learned through my three years with PUDM and apply it to every new endeavor and career path I choose to encounter. I understand the feeling of pride, confidence, and support thanks to the dance marathon. I understand long hours, struggles, pain, and so much more thanks to the dance marathon. I understand that no matter what I tell people, the only way they will understand how I feel after the marathon, and how much it truly makes a difference in my own life and many others' is for them to experience themselves. No words do justice to what is gained from Purdue University Dance Marathon, but I promise to never deny the chance to try and explain for any and everyone else to comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment