Monday, March 3, 2014

Mentors are Valuable Assets

Written by: C Raven Anderson

Recently I have gone through some pretty big life changes. These changes have affected my mood and outlook on my future. I was falling behind in classes, work, and in my internship. I needed to snap out of my funk before I reached a point of no return. I went to talk to my mentor and also the Liberal Arts Career Development Director, Lisa Lambert Snodgrass, to help get me back on track. With careful self-management and a great mentor at my side I was ready to become the person I want to be.

From this experience I have learned how important it is to have a mentor who is willing to help no matter the situation, as well as give you the tools to use to make yourself a better person. In this post I will go over reasons why you should get a mentor at your first job, especially right out of college.

Andy Rachleff, an Executive Chairman at Wealthfront Inc., says “many great things can happen to you if you find a great mentor.” A few examples are you will learn valuable lessons that can apply to future positions, or if you mentor is promoted there is a possibility that if you are good at what you do you will be promoted along with him or her. Rachleff also mentions that “a truly superb mentor will never be threatened by your success.” Your mentor should be one of your biggest cheerleaders if you are successful. They are helping you along in your journey to becoming a talented professional. Your mentor should see your success as positive reflection, not as competition.

From my own experiences this semester, I know that when I get my first job out of college I plan on finding a great mentor to teach and guide me through the professional world. To read the full article written by Andy Rachleff, follow the link below.


http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20130206181727-56725-the-importance-of-mentors-to-build-a-successful-career

No comments:

Post a Comment