Tuesday, September 2, 2014

To Do Lists and Bucket Lists

Written by: Blaire Gunderson

We all know that making lists and staying organized is fundamental in our success as Purdue Undergraduate students. I often find myself jotting down my thoughts everywhere: my planner, my hand, a Post-It, etc.

"Don't forget to submit your paper through Blackboard."
"Pay Rent!"
"Call back Grandma."

Its easy to get lost these hectic, every-day tasks, that we may loose track of the most important "list" of all.

Bucket List. Call it what you want, we all should keep an ongoing record of our goals, aspirations and dreams. While we are often kept busy with the obligations of today, we tend to set aside the opportunities of tomorrow. As a Senior beginning my last year at Purdue, I feel this first-hand. Don't let college pass you by without doing the things that will truly highlight your collegiate experience. I promise - this list, over any that you will make during your time at Purdue- will be the most memorable.

I will share with you a few items from my own "Purdue Bucket List" that I plan on attacking throughout my last year here. 

(1.) Take Advantage of Career Fairs
Whatever your major may be, take advantage of the numerous career fairs that Purdue offers to ALL of their students. As a Communications student, I still plan on attending Industial Roundtable, SMEF and other various career fairs that are not necessarily associated with my major. Be prepared with resumes and portfolios and don't be afraid to extend yourself to companies that interest/ excite you.

(Side note: Look out for information regarding the Liberal Arts Career Fair, which will be held this February :) )

(2.) Complete All Those Traditions We Learned About in BGR
Seeing the Big Bass Drum. The Hello Walk. Fountain Runs. Sledding on Slayter Hill. The Boiler Maker Special. All of these Purdue traditions that we learned about during our Freshman Orientation are things that we should most definitely take advantage of as students of Purdue. Don't walk across the stage at graduation without experiencing each and every tradition that makes Purdue the best university in the world.

(3.) Have lunch with a Purdue Professor / TA
I know I am speaking for most, if not all Purdue students, when I say that I have had numerous professors that have positively impacted my college experience. Make sure to tell them! Grab lunch with a great Professor or TA and thank them for all they have done. Benefit from their knowledge and wisdom while you can! 

(4.) Cherish All Friendships 
Throughout my time at Purdue, I have made lifelong friends from various outlets. Whether it be through my sorority, classes, internships or involvement on campus, each and every friend I have made has had an affect on my life. Enjoy the time you have left with these people, and know that beyond your time at Purdue, these people will be apart of your life.

I hope you enjoyed reading a few of my goals for this year, but more importantly, I hope this has pushed you to make a list of your own. Whatever your age, it's never too early to make sure you are making the most out of your time here at Purdue.

Boiler Up and Happy 1st Semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment