Friday, January 22, 2016

Final Semester Electives

Now that I am finishing up my degree with my last semester, I am taking advantage of many opportunities that will aid my future. Many of these opportunities right now are included in my internship and coursework. As I was creating my schedule for this final semester, I had room for an elective. I wanted this elective to be a class that would allow me to gain skill sets, not just a "GPA booster."

My adviser suggested a handful of classes to me, and one that jumped out to me was Business Writing. He mentioned that this class would includes things such as resumes, professional emails, and things to that nature. Since I am in the process of finding a career for post graduation, perfecting my resume has been all I can think about. I chose to take this class to hopefully gain more knowledge on this and other professional writing options.

Class has only been in session for two weeks, and we have already gone over so many great and useful things. We've talked about rhetoric, created a skills inventory to decide which important items to include in your resume, as well as practiced elevator pitches. This is just the beginning, and I am excited to dive into what the rest of the semester holds in hopes of successfully finding my career.

My advice to anyone who may have open electives is to, of course, always take classes that you are interested in, but also take ones that you know will aid you in your future. If you are indecisive on what to take, ask your adviser what classes they think will help you professionally, such as Business Writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment