Friday, February 19, 2016

Seeking Help.

by: Paige Annee

As we are reading Sheryl Sandberg’s Lean In as part of the LACD internship, I am noticing more and more often how clearly Sandberg’s words connect to my everyday life.

A recent quote that stuck out to me was: “Being unsure about how to proceed is the most natural feeling in the world… Asking for input is not a sign of weakness but often the first step to finding a path forward” (p. 90).

Personally, I think that asking for help is hard to do.  I am also learning that letting yourself be vulnerable in this way is vital to move forward in your career path.

Even though I may work in a career development office, I am no expert in the job-search process. Not many people are. I believe that it is crucial to seek the expertise of colleagues and mentors who have already been through the process in order to poise yourself for your dream job.

One way that I have sought help regarding my career search is by reaching out to professors. I recently set up a meeting with one of my professors to discuss what I like to do and what type of role she saw me holding within a company. A third party source of advice is useful to finding a job that you will thrive within.

This professor has become my mentor in the job search process. We meet more regularly to critique my resume and cover letter and to research available employment opportunities.


My advice to you is to let yourself be vulnerable in order to move forward. The expertise and networking opportunities that others can provide you is fundamental for your career growth. Do not be afraid to ask for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment