Friday, February 12, 2016

Taking that chance

Once my senior year arrived, I realized that the moment I had been anxiously waiting for was finally here. It hit me all of a sudden: I need to start applying for jobs. This may not seem like a huge deal for some, but for me, it was nerve wracking. I was nervous that I didn't have enough skills or experience for any positions I had my eye on and I was upset that this was going to seem blatantly clear on my resume. 

While I still have a hint of those feelings in the back of my mind, I found a bit of comfort during one of our LACD team meetings. Our team has been reading Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg and discussing each chapter during our weekly meetings. The last chapter we read really resonated with me and helped settle some of my fears. In this chapter, Sheryl states that while applying for jobs, men and women often differ in the ways they feel qualified for the position. She mentions that most men will apply for the job even if they feel they only meet 60% of the requirements, while most women will not apply unless they feel they meet 100% of the requirements. I reread that sentence in the book a couple of times and thought to myself, "surely that's not true." Then I realized, that is exactly what I was doing.

Whenever I would read a job description and felt I didn't meet a requirement, I immediately tossed it to the side and told myself I shouldn't even try. I felt some relief reading this chapter and discussing a few other talking points with the team. I should take that chance. Taking that chance could help me grow as a person and as a professional. I've realized that you learn new things even in positions that you're completely qualified for. I'm very thankful that we are taking the time to read this book, because it helps me to think in a different perspective. I'm hoping to use this advice and take that chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment