Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Leaving the Party Early

Written by Sarah Angley

I recently found out I am able to graduate early. I was fortunate enough to not switch my major at all, and I have studied abroad three separate times over the past 2 years. The study abroad alone gave me a semesters worth of credits, and so I am able to finish a semester early.

There are many reasons for me to graduate in 3.5 years as opposed to the traditional 4. I am an out of state student, so graduating in advance will save me over 20 thousand dollars. This also gets me into the professional world faster, so I can establish myself in my chosen career sooner than my peers.

For many people, these reasons don't seem to make sense. "Graduating early is like leaving a party at 9 o'clock."

I think that these people forget what college is actually about. Yes college should be fun and you should enjoy your time here. But we are here for a reason beyond having fun and getting drunk. There's more to this experience than making friends. I came to college to learn about my chosen field, get a degree, then make a career from my experiences.

I've had an enriched experience from classes, to jobs, to internships. I'm ready to move on from here. I'm ready for the new challenge that being a graduate will bring. I'm ready to go out into the world and become a professional.

But this isn't just about me. I've met many of my peers who wonder if they should graduate early when given the chance. And to the I would say "College is great, but while many people say that it's the best 4 years of your life, I hope that isn't true. You're here to create something better for yourself. So go find what's better."

No comments:

Post a Comment