Friday, March 11, 2016

Choosing the Right College for You.

by Paige Annee

Though the mass audience of our LACD blogs may be current college students, I want you all to envision your life just a few short years ago when you were about to complete your senior year of high school. Right around this time, you were probably making one of your biggest life choices to date: where to go to college.

Choosing where you want to go to school for the next four years is a huge deal. Picking the right (or wrong) university can help (or hinder) your academic motivation, leadership growth, and of course, your ability to land your dream job when you graduate.

For me, choosing a college was not an easy decision. In fact, it was so hard for me that I "decided twice." As a senior in college, I chose to attend Indiana University as a Journalism major. As a freshman in college, I decided to move to Purdue University as a Public Relations & Strategic Communication major for my sophomore year.

I presume that the criteria for choosing your job after college is similar to the criteria of choosing your university. Where in the country to do you want live? Do you have the financial means to attend this college or take this job? Is the opportunity for scholarships or yearly income reasonable? Will it help you get to where you want to be in your professional growth?

When I chose my college the first time, I decided based on where my family wanted me to go and where it sounded the "most fun." When I switched to Purdue, I chose based on the opportunities presented to me and how they matched with my values. It has been my best decision to date.

For high school seniors: when you choose your college, pick somewhere that you can see yourself growing the most academically, socially, and professionally. Find a place that will challenge you.

For college seniors: when you choose your career, pick something that you will enjoy and that can spur your professional growth.

If you go with your gut, you can't go wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment