Friday, April 6, 2012

Here it is, so unprofessional

By Yameng Zhang


Three weeks from today, we will have the last meeting. Here it is, so happy but so sad.

I remember the first meeting was January 6th at 10am in this fancy, windowy room at the top floor of Beering Hall. It was a super sunny day, sunlight sneaked in the windows and blinded our eyes. Looking outside the windows, I could see everything. The campus had never been so quiet and gentle. That was the room, I like that room.

Nora was not there yet, so Lisa asked “where is our girl”? Sidonna brought 7 folders. Julie said she drove ten hours from Minnesota. Rebekah was quiet, the typical type of girl in my head who knows graphic. Lauren and Maureen had the same coat, Lauren’s was white and Maureen’s was red, they both said they liked the coat. Michael was the guy and he had not much to talk about coats. Lisa showed an owl’s picture to everyone to scare us, but it did not. She said she had giant dogs, which was more scary.

We awkwardly introduced ourselves. Then we start drawing. Sidonna took out all kinds of color pencils, scissors, tapes and everything, which made me think she was the one with everything. We were so into that like kindergarten kids, and Lisa was walking around peeking like the teacher. Everyone said they were not good at drawing, but who knows.

Then there was Lego. Michael, Julie, Lauren and I were a team, while the other team has Sidonna, Maureen, Nora and Rebekah. I didn’t get the game at first, and I got even more lost later. We had almost nothing come out while the other team didn’t get that much either. However, they did a little bit better than us, so I doubt Sidonna had done that before. Lisa made the point, “communication is the key”. I knew she was going to teach something out of Lego. 

Pizza came and I lost my cool. Pizza Hut is popular in China, because we don’t have Papa Johns. Pizza made me relaxed and my pants shrink. Lisa emphasized that we’d better keep everything professional, she was serious I remembered, because that was why I gave up getting the 6th slice of the cheese pizza. That was the meeting, I like the meeting.  

Later that day, I told my mom that I had free pizzas, played Lego and drew pictures, and she told me “that’s not what that’s all about”. There were thousands of times, I said “that’s so grownup”. I meant it. I am the super senior who is not graduating, but I am the baby who gets excited about almost everything. I am excited about our Friday meetings, they make me get up so early and have the chance to have breakfast with a team of people. We are the team, I like the team, thank you the team. 

No comments:

Post a Comment