Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Following your Dreams


Parents always tell children they can do what ever they want if they follow their dreams. Yes, it can be hard and there can be struggle, but in the end, I believe you will end up with what you really wanted. Life is too short, do what you really want to do, what you have a passion for, what really makes you, you. Do you really want to look back one day at your life and say, “if only” or “what if?” That question can really hurt someone. Think they didn’t do what they were meant to do. It might be hard or hard for someone else to accept that you want to do something totally different with your life than the social norm, parent’s norm, or even your sibling’s norm. Break free and do what you love. You could regret it one day. No one wants to be in a job where you hate what you are doing.

If it comes to you hating what you are doing, take a second and evaluate your life. Realize it is not the end of the world if you are doing something you personally think is not right for you. It could be what you parents want, but is it really what you want? Since being in college, I know I wanted to pick something that interests me, that I know I can do it, and that I understand that choice. Before choosing a career path, look farther down the road, see what kind of jobs are out there with that major. See if you are really up to doing those hours, the type of work, where it can take you and more. Once you have decided, it can never ever hurt if you get an internship around that major. The internship can help you realize if the job is really what you want. It can also help you decide if you want to go a certain way with a major or another way. For me, I am a graphic designer. I have had an internship over the summer where I was originally worried I would not like the work I was doing. It turned out, I loved what I was doing and want to stay with that certain path of poster design. I also love website coding, but realized with my internship I am more versatile than I originally thought. So over all, always do what YOU want, not what others expect you to want, take a rise and don’t ask “what if”, and do research on what really excites you.

No comments:

Post a Comment